chincheta0815 wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> after a long time in the mid age of audio file formats I decided to
> change the used file format in my LMS from mp3 to a lossless file
> format.
>
> I am thinking about using one of the two alternatives: m4a (apple
> lossless) or flac.
> Only restriction: The features in respect to LMS and its clients should
> be the same as with mp3.
> As I am using a Mac and iTunes, m4a (apple lossless) would be
> prefereable in case of no or very few differences...
>
> There is plenty of information about those formats concerning LMS and
> its clients on the internet, but I did not figure out the latest
> state-of-the-art in that topics concerning LMS 8.2.
>
> Can anyone help me and explain which would be the best fileformat out of
> those two?
> Are there still any differences or do they work both the same as mp3 on
> all components?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My 2 cents: use Flac, no hesitation.

MP4 format is a real pain to handle and there is always something wrong
with it. Reading mp4 documentation and writing or using a parser makes
me nauseous.

Flac is simple, straightforward, takes 10 mins to understand the
documentation. Flac is streamable. Flac can easily be encapsulated in
ogg as well.

I’m taking mp4 in general as a container, you would be using alac
inside. I do not think alac gives you better compression or lower cpu
usage or lower memory requirement, which does not matter these days
anyways.

Everybody supports Flac, not alac. I’ve implemented both of them on
multiple platforms, including esp32 embedded system and I will always go
for alac. On my bridges, I’ve chosen alac as a te-encoder option again
because all platforms support it.

Now, you may have extreme metadata expectations that might be better
server by mp4, that I would not know.

LMS 7.9  on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet,
1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000,
ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2,
Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5,
Riva 1 & 3