philippe_44 wrote:
> My 2 cents: use Flac, no hesitation.
>
> MP4 format is a real pain to handle and there is always something wrong
> with it. Reading mp4 documentation and writing or using a parser makes
> me nauseous.
>
> Flac is simple, straightforward, takes 10 mins to understand the
> documentation. Flac is streamable. Flac can easily be encapsulated in
> Ogg as well.
>
> I’m talking about mp4 in general, as a container, your use case would be
> using alac inside. I do not think alac gives you better compression or
> lower cpu usage or lower memory requirement, which does not matter these
> days anyways.
>
> Everybody supports Flac, not alac. I’ve implemented both of them on
> multiple platforms, including esp32 embedded system and I will always go
> for alac. On my bridges, I’ve chosen alac as a re-encoder option again
> because all platforms support it.
>
> Now, you may have extreme metadata expectations that might be better
> served by mp4, that I would not know.

I don't follow the first and last paragraphs. If you would always use
flac, why then chose alac?

*Music Store and VPN Server: *Synology DS215J NAS
*Study Server:* Pi 4B pCp 7.0.0/LMS 8.1.0
*Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player *LMS 8.1.0 on Pi 4B
pCp 7.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
*LAN Players: x2:* pCp 7.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
*LAN Player/ADC* pCp 7.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
*PC Players: x2: *Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.
*VPN Mobile & Car Player:* Material/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone