On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Chuck wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:16:04 -0400
John Anderson <j...@2601.net> wrote:

<Ducking>  Of course, here is where a Program or Operations Director is
a good thing.  Letting DJ's make decisions on "HOW" a station sounds, is
usually a "less than smart" concept.. <

 Except in volunteer community radio, where one finds out very quickly
that mandating a sound kills all motivation to volunteer.  If the
station does not give the volunteers a loose rein, there aren't any
volunteers.

And if you do let everyone do as he or she pleases on the air, you have essentially no audience, in which case there's no point in having a radio station.

There is an optimal compromise, I think, that includes management with vision, aggressive recruting, an audience-centered, as opposed to participant-centered, view of the station, and a shared recognition that the station either succeeeds as a group effort or it fails.

I say this as a long time member of the board of trustees of the Harvard Radio Broadcasting Company, Inc., an all-volunter student organization that has held a commercial FM station license in the Boston market since 1957. See whrb.org for more.

WHRB has been a Rivendell user since 2010.

Rob