On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Brandon wrote:

We're using the Digigram VX222-HR PCI Soundcard with 2+2 Analog+AES/EBU balanced XLR i/o.  Probably one of the best sub $500 broadcast soundcards. Standard alsa drivers work out of the box.

I have tried Digigram cards in the past and found them insufficiently stable; they tend to put out white noise or "digital" distortion. Successive versions of the ALSA driver have made no difference, so I'm guessing the problem is in the firmware. But if you're using them successfully, maybe the firmware has been fixed. Did the card come with a firmware load for Linux? If not, where did you find one?

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 6:14 PM, al davis <ad...@freeelectron.net> wrote:
      On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 14:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
      Rob Landry <41001...@interpring.com> wrote:
      > What are folks using these days for sound cards, particularly
      on machines
      > with only PCI express slots?

      My favorite so far for that is the ASUS Xonar DX.

      Sound quality is better than most .. quieter than most, a little
      higher
      output than most, has an extra cable inside for analog power.

      Full 7.1 analog .. that Rivendell can use as 4 separate stereo
      outputs.
      (cue/library, rdairplay, rdcatch, panel).

Brandon Anjeleno
Subliminal Radio