On Nov 16, 2018, at 10:18, Lorne Tyndale <ltynd...@tyndaleweb.com> wrote:

> With some of the recent discussion around using x11vnc server and a VNC
> client to access Rivendell applications from a Windows box, it got me
> thinking - is this the best way to do this, or is it better to run an X
> server on the Windows system such as Xming and just log in / launch the
> needed app?
>
> I've done both and I don't know that I have a real preference either
> way.  The only thing I've run into with running the X server on Windows
> is that all the apps have to be launched in the same display for drag
> and drop to work, but that is easy enough to do.
>
> Do others have a preference one way or the other?

I was honestly unaware that this option even existed! Assuming that it works as
advertised, I have to think that it would be greatly preferred over the VNC
approach for most situations. Just double-click an icon and open the Rivendell
module. No remote ‘desktop’ at all for the Windows user to have to futz around
with. I do this sort of thing routinely from remote Linux systems, and it works
very well indeed.

Nice catch. Thank you!