I'm running Rivet, PHP, and mod_cgi under httpd 2.2.14 on a Fedora 11
box without any problems, so this problem doesn't seem to affect
everyone.

The potential issue could be mentioned in a Readme or Known Issues
file included with the release, if we're concerned about users hitting
it.

Apache also has a mod_cgid that uses a helper child to run CGI scripts
out of process, which may also help some users. That could be
suggested as a workaround.