On 11/20/10 3:26 PM, "Robert Holtzman" <hol...@cox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 07:38:03PM -0800, Al Varnell wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Chris <cpoll...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> RKhunter V1.3.6, this apparently started yesterday on my morning
>>> rkhunter cronjob. It also reports:
>
>          ..........snip..........
>

>> Did you run --update first?  There was an update to the RKH DB in
>> conjunction with the rollout of the new version.  You do know that v1.3.8 is
>> out, right?  Lots of good new stuff.
>
> Will --update update to 1.3.8? I'm running the Ubuntu version of 1.3.6-3

According to the man "This command option causes rkhunter to check if there
is a later version of any of its text data files." so it would only update
the database and not update to 1.3.8.

> and --update yielded this:
>
> hol...@localhost:~$ sudo rkhunter --update
> [sudo] password for holtzm:
> [ Rootkit Hunter version 1.3.6 ]
>
> Checking rkhunter data files...
>   Checking file mirrors.dat                                  [ No update]
>   Checking file programs_bad.dat                             [ No update]
>   Checking file backdoorports.dat                            [ No update]
>   Checking file suspscan.dat                                 [ No update]
>   Checking file i18n/cn                                      [ No update]
>   Checking file i18n/de                                      [ No update]
>   Checking file i18n/en                                      [ No update]
>   Checking file i18n/zh                                      [ No update]
>   Checking file i18n/zh.utf8                                 [ No update]
>
> Any ideas?

These are all stored in /private/var/lib/rkhunter/db/.  Check if they are
all dated Nov 17.  If so then you must have run --update it since then.  If
not, then I don't know as much as I thought I did about the process.

-Al-

--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA