On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:43:15PM +0100, Nick Warr wrote:

> I actually had to drop the cron jobs on my system, and call rkhunter from a
> bash script, which is then run from cron.
>
> I don't know why, and since the solution is simple enough, I'm not bothering
> to find out why it doesn't work.
>
> Anyhow, take a look at /var/log/rkhunter.log, if you don't see the date at
> the top corresponding with when you set it to run in cron, it's not running.

Sorry to be late with this.

No entry in the log like that but neither was there one in the .conf
file on the desktop (remember the laptop's .conf file was copied from
the desktop). I did, however find a log entry on the very beginning of
/var/log/rkhunter.log.old :" No mail-on-warning address configured"
which doesn't appear on that log for the desktop. Also there is no
mail-on-warning address in either file.

One thing brought up on my local LUG's list is that the laptop may not
be running when cron fires rkhunter. Sounds reasonable since the desktop
runs 24/7 and the laptop is off all night (when cron calls rkhunter).
I'll check this tonight and let you know.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,