On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:14:25PM +0100, John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 21:25 -0700, 'Robert Holtzman' wrote:
> >
> > Next I added my email address to MAIL-ON-WARNING in /etc/rkhunter.conf.
> > It had been MAIL-ON-WARNING="". I thought that was weird but it was the
> > same on my desktop where I got the emails every day. Result...still no
> > joy.
> >
> > I'm out of Ideas. If anyone has a clue please let me know.
> >
> Hello,
>
> If MAIL-ON-WARNING is not set (or set to ""), then RKH will not send an
> email message if there are warnings. However, it may well be your cron
> system that is capturing the output from RKH and sending the message.

As I said previously, the settings are the same as on the desktop ("")
which sends mail. Hadn't ever heard of cron acting as you describe.
Could you please elaborate?

> I don't know how RKH is set up on a Debian system. What are the settings
> of MAIL-ON-WARNING and MAIL_CMD in the rkhunter.conf file on a standard
> Debian system? What does the RKH cron entry look like?

/etc/cron.daily looks like this (in part):

case "$CRON_DAILY_RUN" in
     [Yy]*)
        OUTFILE=`mktemp` || exit 1
        /usr/bin/nice -n $NICE $RKHUNTER --cronjob
--report-warnings-only --appendlog > $OUTFILE
        if [ -s "$OUTFILE" ]; then
          (
            echo "Subject: [rkhunter] $(hostname -f) - Daily report"
            echo "To: $REPORT_EMAIL"
            echo ""
            cat $OUTFILE
#          ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail $REPORT_EMAIL
          ) | /usr/bin/msmtp $REPORT_EMAIL
        fi
        rm -f $OUTFILE
        ;;
      *)
       exit 0
       ;;
esac

which looks right but C (I presume that's what it is) isn't my strong
point.

See above for MAIL-ON-WARNING. MAIL_CMD is:

MAIL_CMD=mail -s "[rkhunter] Warnings found for ${HOST_NAME}"

The same as the desktop.

> As someone else pointed out, the laptop simply may not have any
> warnings. I would suggest looking in the rkhunter log file to see if
> there were any warnings (using 'grep' obviously makes this easier). If
> there are warnings, but you do not get a message then there is a
> problem. If there are no warnings, then you may want to forcibly create
> one - I tend to use something like 'date >/dev/dummyfile'. The
> 'filesystem' test will then report the file as being suspicious.

Again, as I said previously, the warnings are the same as those on the
desktop.

Thanks for your reply.

I remain frustrated.

--