On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 01:36:27PM +0200, Bosse Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
> at least the OpenSuse distribution do send emails with the output
> from cron runs, usually to 'root@localhost'.
> That behavior has been consistent since many OpenSuse versions
> including the 12.2 (latest?).
>
> The behavior can be traced though parsing crontab, "-*/15 * * * *
> root  test -x /usr/lib/cron/run-crons && /usr/lib/cron/run-crons
> >/dev/null 2>&1".

/etc/crontab shows:

# m h dom mon dow user  command
17 *    * * *   root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.daily )
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.weekly )
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
--report /etc/cron.monthly )

Debian is a little different. As I said in a previous post:

> >/etc/cron.daily/rkhunter looks like this (in part):
> >
> >case "$CRON_DAILY_RUN" in
> >      [Yy]*)
> >         OUTFILE=`mktemp` || exit 1
> >         /usr/bin/nice -n $NICE $RKHUNTER --cronjob
> >--report-warnings-only --appendlog > $OUTFILE
> >         if [ -s "$OUTFILE" ]; then
> >           (
> >             echo "Subject: [rkhunter] $(hostname -f) - Daily report"
> >             echo "To: $REPORT_EMAIL"
> >             echo ""
> >             cat $OUTFILE
> >#          ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail $REPORT_EMAIL
> >           ) | /usr/bin/msmtp $REPORT_EMAIL
> >         fi
> >         rm -f $OUTFILE
> >         ;;
> >       *)
> >        exit 0
> >        ;;
> >esac
> >
> >which looks right but C (I presume that's what it is) isn't my strong
> >point.

Also /etc/anacrontab contains:

# These replace cron's entries
1       5       cron.daily       nice run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
7       10      cron.weekly      nice run-parts --report
/etc/cron.weekly
@monthly        15      cron.monthly nice run-parts --report
/etc/cron.monthly

Unless I'm missing something it all looks right. BTW as I've also said before
This is all identical to my desktop box which faithfully sends me a
report every day.

I remain perplexed.

Thanks for the effort. Anyone else have an idea?

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,