--- Allen Gilliland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > On 3/21/07, Allen Gilliland
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I don't understand what exactly this is trying to
> accomplish.  How do
> >> you actually register an account via email?  You
> need to supply input
> >> for the various form fields at some point right?
> >>
> >> Can we get a description of the work flow that
> this is advocating?  When
> >> does the email get sent?  What does it contain?
> What action does the
> >> recipient take?  etc.
> >
> > The work flow is this:
> > 1) User enters registration info into existing
> registration form and posts
> > 2) Roller responds: thanks for registering, please
> wait for activation
> > email
> > 3) User gets email, clicks activation link
> > 4) Roller responds: You are registered! Here's a
> link for you to login
>
> gotcha, i don't know why i was thinking of something
> else.
>
> in any case, i think the design could be simplified
> a bit.  rather than
> create a whole new table why not just add the
> activationcode column to
> the existing rolleruser table?  that way we don't
> need the new table,
> pojo, and manager methods.  in fact, the
> registration code is basically
> unchanged except for adding in this logic ...
>
> if(emailActivationEnabled) {
>    newUser.setEnabled(false);
>
>    // generate activation code
>    newUser.setActivationCode(code);
>
>    // send activation email
> }
>
> -- Allen

Yes, it can also be done with this design. Note that,
in this design you have to clear the activationCode
(or make something else, to mark that it is used)
after the account is activated (Also in my design, I
delete the related record from useractivate table).
The reason behind this requirement can be explained as
follows:
Let's assume that a user registers with e-mail
activation and assume that the related activationCode
is not deleted. After a while, admin user wants to
disable the account of this user from the "User Admin"
menu of the Server Administration and disables it.
Then, if the user clicks the activation link in the
sent activation mail (assume user stores it; did not
delete it), his/her account is enabled again. Because
of this simple scenario, do not forget to mark the
activated accounts so that the link in the sent
activation mail will not be used again once it is
used.

Sedat Çiftçi

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Proposal+Email+Registration

> [...]

Looking for earth-friendly autos?