Many years ago, someone on Uncensored was playing around with SCO and asked,
"What the heck is 'micnet' and what is it for?  As far as I can tell, all
it does is duplicate the functionality of UUCP."  And they were correct: the
micnet code continued to exist in the descendents of Xenix long after no one
was using it.  Everyone had long since implemented UUCP, even within the halls
of Microsoft and SCO.

 This is the feeling I am now getting as I remove IGnet from the Citadel system.
 It served its purpose, but aside from Uncensored and Dogpound, no one was
using it.  And it raised the question: if Citadel speaks all of the standard
protocols, why do Citadel sites need a special protocol to connect to each
other?  The answer, quite simply, is that they don't.

 Giant hunks of code are now removed.  An entire layer of complexity is gone.
 All sorts of cruft that made assumptions about
dialup BBS and UUCP networking from 30 years ago has finally been removed.
 There is only one network now: the standard TCP/IP Internet.  Mail is always
SMTP, syndication is always RSS, and we might throw in more robust NNTP
eventually.

 I'm sad to see IGnet go away, but the gigantic reduction of complexity in
the code more than makes up for it.