On Saturday 04 Nov 2006 21:05, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Saturday 04 November 2006 12:51 pm, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > I thought it was. If that's not the case, then cmake is the only
> > logical choice.
>
> All the tutorials and whatnot are about KDE4, but it looks like there
> isn't any reason why it shouldn't work with KDE3.

CMake predates KDE4.  There's absolutely no reason we shouldn't use it
now if we want to.

Don't be distracted by KDE.  Our project is not that hard to build.  KDE
to us is a build dependency (library and header locations, just like
Qt) and a source of install target locations.  We build no shared
libraries and we only target Linux.  My reorganise-makefile builds our
whole project already; all it lacks is the autoconf-type tests for the
build dependencies, and logic that handles installation.  They're both
tricky things to do, but they aren't significantly different for KDE
applications from any other applications.

The most important thing for us is that a system makes it easy to add a
few platform-specific shell commands if necessary for particular build
or install targets.  qmake, for example, would be next to useless for
us because it's so platform-independent that it's practically
impossible to use if you have serious platform-specific dependencies.
SCons is less than ideal for us because any such extensions need a
passing understanding of Python, which it seems none of us has or
wants.

To be honest, I could probably even cope with a return to autoconf
(would we be the first project ever to switch from scons to autoconf?)
so long as we had a relatively minimal autoconf setup without using
automake or libtool, instead of relying on all that hideously
overcomplicated crap borrowed from KDE that we used to use.

Chris