On 22 October 2011 18:51, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcint...@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> When I think about it, I'm surprised more people haven't run into this.  Tempo
> ramps were never fully implemented from the beginning, years ago now, and
> nobody ever came back to finish the job.  If my memory is correct, the MIDI
> export side of things is the one bit nobody ever finished.

That's right -- I left that part undone when I added the ramped tempo
feature in 2006, and as far as I know nobody has looked at it since.

MIDI doesn't have any way to represent a ramped tempo, so to implement
it would, I think, mean having to emit a tempo change at each event,
calculated so as to give the correct time gap to the next event.  That
is, using e.g. Composition::getRealTimeDifference to convert the gap
to real time, and then picking the fixed tempo that would result in
the musical time gap being converted to the same real time.

This is not _hard_ as such, but it is fiddly, and it's worth noting
that the exported MIDI files would end up with multiple fixed tempi in
them if re-imported, rather than ramped tempi.

Chris