On Thursday, November 24, 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:

> - I am not running KDE (or any DE)

KDE _should_ be totally irrelevant.  Rosegarden is a straight Qt application
now, and no longer uses the KDE libraries for anything.

> - I am using qt 4.7.2. Everything higher than that appears to be masked
> out for amd64 (and for x86)

No idea about that, but I'm using a self-compiled Qt 4.7.4 on Ubuntu x86_64
here.

> - Is there some incompatibility issue with the newer versions of QT? A
> quick look at the Changelog the other day indicated that there are a
> massive amount of changes even in a minor release.

Most of those changes were purging all the reliance on the old Qt 3
compatibility layer.  There could be something to all that, but it doesn't
seem too likely at this point.  There were a lot of things where we had to
make a best guess whether something would work, but for the most part it looks
like everything did.

> - Could there be something broken/incompatible in your sound system?
> What sound system(s) does KDE have activated? Can you turn the sound
> system off and then try starting Rosegarden?

More likely, but still not the sort of thing I'd expect to cause Rosegarden to
hang up.  No sound shouldn't break anything.  It could be some weird timer
thing, but generally when we have weird timer problems you hit play and
Rosegarden never does anything from that point on.  That implies making it
much further into things than the OP is ever getting, so if it's a timer
issue, it's a strange one.

> with that enabled, some useful information might appear from debugging
> statements.

Indeed.  Getting it build with --enable-debug, however you do that in Gentoo,
would be an improvement from a diagnostic perspective.  A mysterious blank
prompt is hard to diagnose.
--
D. Michael McIntyre