On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Abrolag wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:44:02 +0200 (CEST)
> Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarensk...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, jott27 wrote:
>>

>>> Rosegarden on Ubuntu 12.04
>>> My Realtek sound card on HP-Pavilion-dv9500-Notebook does not support
>>> soundfonts.
>>> What can I use to get sound working?
>>
>> fluidsynth
>> qsynth (=fluidsynth with a GUI)
>>
>> timidity
>
> Or you could try a really nice softsynth like Yoshimi :)

Not really. Yoshimi does not support soundfonts, which is what the
original question was about.

Personally I am not a great fan of Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFX. Yes, it can
produce some very good sounds. But I think it has one of the ugliest user
interfaces I know, making it very difficult to get a good grip and
understanding of the huge number of possibilities this softsynth, I must
admit, does have.

But now you will say: start trying the preset libraries. I have, and
almost every preset has much too much reverb. Not my piece of cake.

On the other side, there are not that many (native) softsynths for Linux,
so everything is welcome: Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFx, hexter, whysynth, amsynth,
phasex ...

And someone also compiled native Linux versions of some great stuff
from Togu Audio Line (TAL). Take a look here:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/distrho/files/Ports/TAL-Plugins/

--

MT