On 08/21/2012 09:16 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012, John wrote:
>
>> I would like to thank all you respondents who tried to help me..I have
>> Jack,  Qsynth, Timidity installed.  But I am at a loss how I can tie all
>> these pieces together to produce any sound. How to "plug in" any of these
>> pieces?
>
> I'm going to defer these basic, common questions to the rest of the community.
>
>> The info message box in rosegarden says "visit Edit->Preferences->Behaviour-
>> Graphics performance".  There is no obvious way to do this!
>
> There certainly should be.  I started Rosegarden, went to the Edit menu, found
> Preferences down at the bottom, and the Behavior tab was the first thing up,
> with the Graphics Performance option the very first choice available.
>
> Rosegarden no longer uses KDE, and it looks the same everywhere.  If that
> option really isn't obvious to you, then somebody could have customized your
> particular build of Rosegarden in some weird way.  Distros do that kind of
> thing.  It's annoying.

I think it's something the Unity UI is doing. It does the same thing to
EVERY GUI app. The Unity UI demands that all GUI apps use a single menu
at the top of the screen (by default). Whichever window is active has
its menus there. But by default, the menus aren't shown until you mouse
up to that part of the screen. That could be why the original poster
isn't seeing the Rosegarden menus ...

The Unity UI has problems when apps use more than one window. It even
has problems with some apps that use only ONE window.

The real fix is to replace Unity UI with XFCE!

--
David
gn...@hawaii.rr.com