On 09/28/2012 09:33 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> On 29/09/12 05:20, k...@trixtar.org wrote:
>>

>> In the notation editor, how can I delete/remove/erase a rest the same way I
>> would do a note,
>
> Well.. answer is, you can't really. That is the rest the default
> 'silence' when no notes are present. If you have deleted notes and are
> left with multiple e.g. 1/4 rests you can collapse them with the Adjust
>   >  Rests menu.
>
> or complete measures for that matter?
>
> That's also not possible from the notation editor... The only thing you
> can do is shorten/lengthen a segment from the Segment menu.
>
> Another operation which might 'delete' complete measures is "Cut and
> close" which will cut the notes in a measure but also delete the space
> where they where (basiclly plulling back everything that follows). This
> however will leave empty space at the end of the segment.

Hmm, didn't even know about the "Cut and close" operation ...

> All real manipulation of measures is done in the main window through
> segment editing.

Yes, I was thinking that the original poster could split the segment
before (and after) the empty measures he wants to get rid of, delete the
segment containing the empty measures, move the second segment up to
abut the first, then join the two segments?

I think the original poster's problem is what I've seen when recording
into RG from my MIDI keyboard. Note durations come in fine (locked to as
performed). But if I start editing the notes, moving them around, things
sometimes get weird and rests start spontaneously appearing where they
weren't before. I know quantizing is supposed to help, but sometimes it
doesn't ...

> Unfortunately this is a shortcoming of all sequencers (all the linux
> sequencers I know of) using the 'segment' (aka clip) paradigm which, for
> example, cubase used and is indeed sometimes limiting.
>
> Lorenzo.

I think the old SongWrite I used to use on Windows had the same problem.
I blame it on the "absolute time" idea. Sometimes I think that if each
"note" consisted only of a unique ID #, pitch, duration, and the unique
ID # _of the note that follows it_, there'd be less of this problem.

--
David
gn...@hawaii.rr.com