On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/12 21:07, Brett McCoy wrote:
>> I've seen that and they generalyl sound OK, but it has very few
>> articulations and next to nothing for chromatic samples (they say to
>> use pitch bending to get the chromatic notes, bleah).
>
> The strings aren't that bad... It seems to be that they are better than
> many free soundfonts..

They do sound OK, for the most part. Gabriel Nord recently produced an
album using these samples (along with some other Linux stuff, although
I don't think RG was involved):

http://www.ironink.se/music.htm

> Otherwise what do you use for orchestra sounds?

I use a lot of commercial libaries for Kontakt, EWQL Play and Best
Service Engine, they are hosted on a separate Windows machine.

>> I have piano sounds out the wazoo (there's also pianoteq, which has
>> fantastic sounding algorithmically based piano instruments, but they
>> are commercial apps, even on Linux). Orchestral sounds and various
>> ethnic/exotic instrument sounds are what I use the most, and they cost
>> money to produce, which is more likely than not why you don't see much
>> in the way of free sample libraries for that kind of thing. I think
>> this was recently discussed at great length on both the LAD list and
>> on the Ardour IRC -- why aren't there more free orchestral libraries?
>> Personally, I'd settle for a native version of Kontakt on Linux!
>
> There are a few commercial GIG libraries around, I wonder if anyone
> tried them on LinuxSampler, it would be interesting to see a trial about
> this.

Sadly, gig libraries are getting more and more scarce since Tascam
ended Gigasampler. Kontakt seems to be the most popular sampler format
now. I would be the first to sign up if Kontakt came to Linux, there
has been some interest expressed from NI, but probably won't happen
anytime soon. I *think* Kontakt on OS X supports Jack, but it's a
hidden feature that they don't advertise.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
it would overturn the world."