Its a lightweight music distro so running LXDE makes it fast to me.  I
understand the desire to run 86_64 software but the 32bit is probably
better for compatibility (at least that used to be the case... maybe not so
much anymore).

My recommendation is to open the software sources and check the bandshed
repos.  The kernels are there and grab the 3.6.6_rt pae kernel.  Or the 3.8
pae.  I just built a kernel from 3.6.6_rt to 3.10.10-rc7-rt.  They explain
it in the boards.  Trulan has great info there ... I am making kernels that
are awesome by following his directions.

I can run virtualbox 4.2 and then run Windows XP 64 bit.  Yes, from this
32bit distro.

So speed is very good.  Jack audio server runs super fast with great
reliability.

Also check out KXStudio.  If you want 64bit, this is your option, no
question.