On Tue, 10 Feb 2015, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I was wondering about that, now that you mention it.  Controller banks?
>   Does anything support more than 127 controllers?  Are bank changes

Controllers have standardized numbers - e.g. 7 is "master volume" - so the
main issue isn't really that a single device has more than 127 controllers
(although yes, some DO), but that there are more than 127 different kinds
of controllers in the world.  It's made worse by the fact that a single
controller number only handles a 7-bit value, so if you need finer
granularity than that, you need to assign two or more of the 127
controller numbers to the more and less significant chunks of a
finer-grained value.  And it's also true that controller numbers ended up
being used for other things, such as selecting banks for the separate
"program change" messages.

The namespace of 127 controllers ran out very fast.

--
Matthew Skala
msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.