On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, david wrote:

> On 01/09/2016 08:54 AM, Holger Marzen wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, Leszek Wroński wrote:
> >
> >> *BONUS QUESTION*
> >> Now, this will probably be idiotic, but I need to ask this. Can I somehow
> >> just play General MIDI instruments? Is this done by Timidity? I fired it up
> >> but it doesn't show in the 'Audio' menu of Jack, so I can't tell it to
> >> output any sound to the system.
> >
> > I recommend installing and loading fluidsynth-dssi into a
> > Rosegarden-track of type "Synthesizer Plugin". Then load a GM soundfont
> > into fluidsynth. Most distributions offer the package
> > fluid-soundfont-gm, a very good soundfont that resides in
> > /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 after installation.
> >
> > Using the plugin makes it simple to save the settings with your song and
> > offers as low latency as possible.
> >
> > You can find other good soundfonts all over the web.
>
> Not the original poster, but thanks for the advice about fluidsynth-dssi. :)

For those who do not know yet: This song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=qFDa-_6dUOU
was made only with plugins:
- FluidSynth-DSSI for bass, strings, drums, chimes, sleigh bells
- Hexter and Whysynth (both DSSI) for the rest
- All effects like reverb and echo as LADSPA plugins in Rosegarden

The only external program was Jamin for mastering (shown at 3:41).