On 04/11/2016 03:15 PM, Silas Mortimer wrote:

> Awesome! I need to check with the maintainers of the Opensuse
> Multimedia repo. Hopefully it's there soon. (I *might* download and
> compile it, but I hate messing up the usefulness of a package
> manager.)

It could take months or years for any work I do now to show up in a
distro package.  I have to release it first (1-3 months, or longer),
then the package maintainer has to pick it up and update his package,
which usually involves patching things to suit the peculiarities of his
particular distro, and then the package has to sit around for however
long it takes to find its way into being released by the distro (varies
wildly from days to years).

The better way to go is to just track the development source repository,
the way we developers do.  Some distros hack Rosegarden to force it to
install a bunch of things to system directories (see: distro
peculiarities), but the stock version the way we publish it can run out
of the directory where you compiled the thing, without installing anything.

At the moment I have 20 different versions of Rosegarden in my user
directory, along with my distro package version to make 21.  I can run
all of them at the same time if I want to juggle that many windows.

Seriously, this is one project where you can play with the development
stuff all day long without ever messing up your trusty distro package.

> And you rock! If I ever get a chance to buy you a beer or whatever
> your drink is, I will damn well do so. Also, is there a way to donate
> to the project? I can't spare much, but I'd like to contribute.

You have contributed plenty just by showing up at the right time and
throwing some nice bite sized problems at me that are well inside my
comfort zone.  I don't have a lot of free time, and I just can't manage
big, ambitious undertakings right now.  I can knock some of this stuff
out, and feel like I accomplished something.  It's nice.

We have a donation page, but I took the link down.  You guys are
probably more broke than I am.

I do enjoy beer, and if you're ever in town....
--
D. Michael McIntyre