Well... I have to resurrect this and be warned, as often with my posts, it is long :)

TL;DR: jack midi is not that easy nor optimal, so maybe re-prioritize LV2 with audio render of projects

After a few months of experimenting and discussing, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to contradict myself (or at least put some doubt) about this one. I updaeted the feature requests but will add some thoughts on here. And this is knowing that both are huge undertakes...

So I had the impression (and still believe, at least conceptually), that jack midi + jack freewheel would be the right way to go following a 'unix philosophy'. Now, it turns out that technically jack midi doen't automatically mean that you get jack freewheel ('farster than realtime') e.g. for export. And I tested this in various ways the most outstanding was by trying to use this to 'rended' from Ardour using midi and conencting it to a jack-midi application... Everything miserably failed and that's because (if I understood correctly the explanation I got in the Ardour IRC), jack freeheel while is bound to at the same bound but not checking constraints such as disk I/O.

Now, back to LV2.
True: one can fire up (say) Carla and connect to it with alsa midi and then record the result to audio, but as discussed many times this is very cumbersome and time consuming, and whatever the technical solution I still strongly believe that having to do by hand something that a computer can conceptually do 'easily' sounds quite insane.

And let's face it, DSSI and LADSPA are dying formats, with very few people still making or even maintaining plugins (as well as distributions). LV2 on the other hand seems to be quite active and now has a fairly rich ecosystem of plugin developers and users, opening up a nice palette of sound for rosegarden users.

I write this lengthy stuff because I _really_ (really!) like Rosegarden and wouldn't like to see it slowly die, so maybe having LV2 and audio render would bring (back) users and interest, which I think is always good for FLOSS under many aspects.

Ciao
Lorenzo.