Gee, and all I do to 'render' a Rosegarden production is start jack_capture
enslaved to JACK transport in a terminal, then click Play in Rosegarden...
Doesn't bother me that it's playing in real time.

But then I only do this for fun.

On July 24, 2019 9:51:54 PM HST, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Well... I have to resurrect this and be warned, as often with my posts,
>
>it is long :)
>
>TL;DR: jack midi is not that easy nor optimal, so maybe re-prioritize
>LV2 with audio render of projects
>

>After a few months of experimenting and discussing, I have come to the
>conclusion that I will have to contradict myself (or at least put some
>doubt) about this one.
>I updaeted the feature requests but will add some thoughts on here. And
>
>this is knowing that both are huge undertakes...
>
>So I had the impression (and still believe, at least conceptually),
>that
>jack midi + jack freewheel would be the right way to go following a
>'unix philosophy'. Now, it turns out that technically jack midi doen't
>automatically mean that you get jack freewheel ('farster than
>realtime')
>e.g. for export. And I tested this in various ways the most outstanding
>
>was by trying to use this to 'rended' from Ardour using midi and
>conencting it to a jack-midi application... Everything miserably failed
>
>and that's because (if I understood correctly the explanation I got in
>the Ardour IRC), jack freeheel while is bound to at the same bound but
>not checking constraints such as disk I/O.
>
>This would explain e.g. how other projects are dealing with it... For
>instance this discussion on the Qtractor mailing list seems to more or
>less support my point: https://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/585
>
>Now, back to LV2.
>True: one can fire up (say) Carla and connect to it with alsa midi and
>then record the result to audio, but as discussed many times this is
>very cumbersome and time consuming, and whatever the technical solution
>
>I still strongly believe that having to do by hand something that a
>computer can conceptually do 'easily' sounds quite insane.
>
>And let's face it, DSSI and LADSPA are dying formats, with very few
>people still making or even maintaining plugins (as well as
>distributions).
>LV2 on the other hand seems to be quite active and now has a fairly
>rich
>ecosystem of plugin developers and users, opening up a nice palette of
>sound for rosegarden users.
>
>I write this lengthy stuff because I _really_ (really!) like Rosegarden
>and wouldn't like to see it slowly die, so maybe having LV2 and audio
>render would bring (back) users and interest, which I think is always
>good for FLOSS under many aspects.
>
>Ciao
>Lorenzo.
>

>On 24/02/19 09:22, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> Ted,
>>
>> Gotcha... And I personally agree that #471 is higher priority than
>>
>> But I understand it's not something simple.
>>
>> Lorenzo.

>>>    It's been time to think about that for years.  Just no one has
>time
> [...]

---
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.