I have no idea about a bug in 17.12 which is now an old version.
Here is how to compile/install the last version:

If you want to install in the default destination /usr/local
you only have to type:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install

If you want to install in a non standard place, use:
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/somewhere/in/the/system

Only if you want to debug, you have to add the option:
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
without the brackets.

BTW you don't need to be root when compiling RG.
You have to be root only when installing
with "sudo make install"
or with "su" then "make install"

Hope it helps
Yves