On 3/1/21 3:10 AM, Mike Knott wrote:
 1. First and foremost, I say I have been tinkering. For those of you
    who have properly examined what I've said... am I right so far?

Like Lorenzo mentioned, the guy in the video just hit record and played to the metronome. Notion then worked out some notation for that. It wasn't ideal (since he was using his sustain pedal), so he did some tweaks. Rosegarden can do exactly this.

Just record nice and mechanically against the metronome into a Segment and have a look in the notation editor. It will likely be off here and there. Use the quantization function to try and auto-correct the "errors". You can also use the matrix editor to tweak things to perfection. You can also try recording at half tempo. That might allow you to get closer to something that is "perfectly" mechanical.

  I don't think Notion is doing much more than this.

Step edit is more useful when you can't play a piece yet. It lets you enter the notes and chords one-by-one and then listen to it.

Ted.