As I was digging around I saw mention of Qt using "native dialogs". Maybe this is what is going on. Maybe you are using GNOME and somehow Qt is being told to use the native file dialog rather than its own. That might explain why it is using a GTK+ .XBEL file to store these recent used "bookmarks".

QFileDialog has options and the "DontUseNativeDialog" option controls this. The Qt docs indicate that *using* the native dialog is the default if one exists. Maybe we should try forcing "DontUseNativeDialog". I'll need to do a little more digging and provide you with a new version to test. I'll put it on my todo...

Ted.