On 14/02/2018 15:02, Marcus Wolschon wrote:
What you describe is a mini-roundabout.

No it wasn't.
It was perfectly clear as I posted the 'junction=roundabout ' page.

Much of the following is incoherent to me. The rest is irrelevant to my point.

DaveF

That has a different geometry as the center of that one is traversable.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmini_roundabout

a)
I don't see a node as anything you "are on" at any time. Only segments.
At most nodes are considered for calculating the metric of making certain turns
between segments.
b)
Routing algorithms that don't know or deal with roundabouts would still work
perfectly well with a circle of segments and give proper instructions.
c)
In reality this is a circle of road-segments. So segments represent reality more closely. So for the purpose of the map as a representation of real world geometry, this is simply a much better approximation. This is not only for routing but also for map-rendering to scale the size of the roundabout correctly. (There are vast differences in possible sizes.)
d)
These segments have a significantly different metric then an intersection (much slower traffic
in the roundabout then the surrounding roads).
They have an angle to the entering and exiting road that can be used in a metric because you need to slow down to make such hard turns, limiting your average speed in the segments before and
after the roundabout (lookahead).
There may be traffic jams or construction sites blocking part of a roundabout but still allowing certain turns to be made. This can not be described with a simple node.