On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:25:12AM +0100, Gonçalo Gomes wrote:
> Dear rsync users,
> i'd like to ask some questions about rsync,
>
> 1) i'm going to use rsync to upload backups to "backup machine", that
> machine will hold only backups.
>     - does it keeps the ownership of the files if the users/groups, they
> don't exist in the remote machine (backup machines)
>     or it keeps them in a database and restores them when replacing the
> backups ?

If you run as root and the users/groups don't exist on the backup machine
it will typically keep the original user id and group ids.  I'm not
sure what happens if you're using an rsync --daemon as the destination,
though, perhaps it will just keep whatever uid is specified (defaults
to "nobody").

> 2) how to choose where a path (within the actual module name) to where
> upload the files without having to add a new module ?

Paths are chosen either through the module name if you're using rsync
--daemon mode or whatever path you specify otherwise.  I usually discourage
people from using --daemon mode for writing, as it was really mostly
intended for reading.  Ssh is the best access method.

> 3) the --delete options means that, if we have a dir with "index.htm" and
> "main.htm" in the backup server, and then we remove "main.htm" from the
> client, when we're uploading the newbackup it will remove main.htm from the
> backup server?

Right.

- Dave Dykstra