We require an option that forces rsync to truncate the destination file to zero
bytes, using the existing inode, before copying (non-atomic).

For various important reasons, we cannot use —inplace as an option due to the
way the filesystem we use handles a retrieve from tape.

Using —temp-dir as an option does provide us with the functionality we require,
however it has obvious downsides of doubling I/O for no good reason.

Am I missing something obvious? Or should I add this as a feature request?

Cheers