I'll post something in more detail later.

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017, deoren wrote:

That said, thank you for the tips. I know I'm eventually going to have to look at using JSON since most of the popular tool chains I'm researching seem to prefer it (e.g., Elastic Stack, Graylog), so I'm definitely interested in learning more about that approach.

Are there any good guides that cover the steps you mention in detail? I understand the basic idea of what you're suggesting, but perhaps not the step by step implementation details.