On Thu, 8 Feb 2018, Nicholas von Waltsleben via rsyslog wrote:

Upon further investigation it appears this only happens when a queue is
configured for the action.  It sounds like a bug that was previously fixed
after 8.10 (https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/375), has there
perhaps been a regression in this area?

the 'action' is to put the log into the queue for the action.

unless the queue is full, putting the log into the queue succeeds, even if the action that will later pull from the queue is blocked.

adding a queue to and action means that you have no idea what the status of those actions are.

we should probably add something to the documentation for this option to indicate that it doesn't work if the prior action has a queue.