On 30 Oct 2012, at 19:47, Thomas Sibley <t...@bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On 10/30/2012 12:21 PM, Ram wrote:
>> How do folks deal with perl conflicts? We normally use RPMs for
>> everything but that's not practical given the relatively high-version
>> requirements of the rt4 branch so CPAN seems the only practical
>> approach.
>
> Use a completely separate build of perl just for RT instead of the
> system installed and managed perl.
>
> Look at perlbrew for an easy way to build perl if you're not familiar
> with the process.

I agree that's probably the most pain-free and robust method.

On my Mac, where I do some RT tinkering as a standalone build, I have an
rt-support directory in my home directory, and I put all the libraries RT needs
in there, and I point my PERL5LIB and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variables at it
whenever I'm working on RT.  The relevant bits of my CPAN/MyConfig.pm file:

  'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALL_BASE=~/rt-support],
  'mbuildpl_arg' => q[--install_base ~/rt-support],

and then my PERL5LIB is:

  $HOME/rt-support/lib/perl5

On my production RT server, which is running Ubuntu, I use the system perl, and
install pre-packaged modules where I can, but if I can't I just let RT's 'make
fixdeps' do what it likes, and install the necessary packages in the system's
site perl directory.  Since the server isn't used for anything other than RT,
I'm not bothered about superseding what the OS itself installs.  The major
advantage of doing it that way is that it's then much easier to configure with
the packaged versions of apache, mod_perl and so on.

Tim

--------
We're hiring! http://bestpractical.com/jobs