On 31 Oct 2012, at 16:45, Ram <ram0...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On my Mac, where I do some RT tinkering as a standalone build, I have an
>> rt-support directory in my home directory, and I put all the libraries RT
>> needs in there, and I point my PERL5LIB and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variables at
>> it whenever I'm working on RT.  The relevant bits of my CPAN/MyConfig.pm
>> file:
>>
>>  'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALL_BASE=~/rt-support],
>>  'mbuildpl_arg' => q[--install_base ~/rt-support],
>>
>> and then my PERL5LIB is:
>>
>>  $HOME/rt-support/lib/perl5
>>

> Yep this is exactly what we've tried but some of the required modules
> do not respect those parameters (INSTALL and MANPAGE). We started to
> tweak the perl make files for those modules one by one but it's not a
> great way to go.

As you see above, I don't set the individual locations like INSTALL and
MANPAGE.  Just the INSTALL_BASE.  I have not found a single CPAN module that RT
requires which did not install correctly in my ~/rt_support directory.  Which
ones did you have problems with?

>> On my production RT server, which is running Ubuntu, I use the system perl,
>> and install pre-packaged modules where I can, but if I can't I just let RT's
>> 'make fixdeps' do what it likes, and install the necessary packages in the
>> system's site perl directory.  Since the server isn't used for anything
>> other than RT, I'm not bothered about superseding what the OS itself
>> installs.  The major advantage of doing it that way is that it's then much
>> easier to configure with the packaged versions of apache, mod_perl and so on.
>
> Our server runs CentOS 6 (downstream of RHEL 6) and it is no small
> feat to get most of the perl modules as rpms, it is impossible to get
> them all without building them ourselves.

On Debian/Ubuntu systems there's a fabulous little package called dh-make-perl
which whizzes off to CPAN, downloads the module sources, configures and builds
it and results in a .deb package which you can install on the system.  Before
RT 4.0 came out, that's how I built all the perl modules for our RT server.  It
was a nice clean way to do it, if a bit of a faff.  Does CentOS have a similar
script for making RPM's out of CPAN modules?

Regards,

Tim

--------
We're hiring! http://bestpractical.com/jobs