It looks like I've found the problems. To recap: I've got MySQL Server 5.7 on a
Windows Server 2012 host running an RT database of ~20GB. My mysqldump backups
started becoming truncated for some reason.

I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to Windows, but it turns out this is
what was happening:
Using the --results-file= instead of > was masking a "max_allowed_packet"
problem. Once I switched my backup scripts to use the redirect it appeared. The
backup is still crashing, but the size is larger now. I'm tweaking my
max_allowed_packet size to get it stable.

Also, I saw a note that if you're dumping data to the local host that using
"shared memory" is faster than a TCP connection to local host. I'm tempted to
try it but if anyone has any experience there I'd appreciate it.

Thank you to everyone who helped debug this with me. I hope this helps someone
in the future!

Stephen Cena
Senior Systems Administrator
Quality Vision International, Inc.