Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your comments please see inline.

Thanks,
Nitish

From: Mahesh Jethanandani
<mjethanand...@gmail.com<mailto:mjethanand...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, 19 January 2016 11:43 am
To: Chris Bowers <cbow...@juniper.net<mailto:cbow...@juniper.net>>
Cc: Nitish Gupta <nitis...@cisco.com<mailto:nitis...@cisco.com>>, Jeff Haas
<jh...@juniper.net<mailto:jh...@juniper.net>>,
"rtg-...@ietf.org<mailto:rtg-...@ietf.org>"
<rtg-...@ietf.org<mailto:rtg-...@ietf.org>>, "Aditya Dogra (addogra)"
<addo...@cisco.com<mailto:addo...@cisco.com>>,
"co...@doch.org.uk<mailto:co...@doch.org.uk>"
<co...@doch.org.uk<mailto:co...@doch.org.uk>>,
"rtgwg@ietf.org<mailto:rtgwg@ietf.org>" <rtgwg@ietf.org<mailto:rtgwg@ietf.org>>
Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-02.txt

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. Please cross-post the draft to rtg-bfd (as you
have been doing) to make sure you get the BFD experts to review the draft.

One clarification and then a question in section 3 of the document. You say
that BFD requires that a session be formed by both peers. You can very well
form a one way session from the VRRP Master router to your Backup router. When
the Backup Router detects loss of 3 BFD packets, it can declare the Master as
Down and take over as the new Master router. The question is why do you need a
BFD session from the Backup router to the Master router?

[nitish] I just want to clarify one point that there will be only one session
between a pair of VRRP router instance for example in this case if there is
only one VRRP Master and one VRRP backup Router there will be only one BFD
session.  Though both the devices would require to initiate BFD bootup sequence
but there will be only one BFD session formed between them. As Section 3 of RFC
5881 (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
for IPv4 and IPv6 (Single Hop)
) mandates that the session be initiated by both the participating peers for a
session to be formed between them. Hence the Backup router needs to know the
Master IPVX address to initiate a BFD session.

The other thing I want to make sure if there is any particular configuration
requirement from a BFD YANG model perspective. I understand that you are using
the fast timer in BFD to detect next-hop IP address liveliness check. We
address that configuration in the BFD YANG model today. However, we have not
addressed the issue of p2mp BFD configuration as yet. Depending on how that
discussion proceeds we might want to look at that also.

[nitish] There is no particular requirement that we can see from BFD YANG model
perspective. As VRRP should interface with BFD as another protocol using BFD as
a means of fast failure detection of its peer.

Cheers.

On Jan 18, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Chris Bowers