It's been a decade since I coded Rails (though Ruby much more recently;
there is no excuse). *Colin, you were right*

file_location =
'/home/din/Projects/DLC/rails_server/product_exchange/db/migrate/'

files = File.new '/home/din/Projects/DLC/code_ruby/update_users_01.txt'
migrate_user_files = files.readlines
migrate_user_files.each do | user_file_name |
    migration = File.new
'/home/din/Projects/DLC/rails_server/product_exchange/db/migrate/' +
user_file_name.chomp
# Error was very simple: mystring.chomp returns a new string without the
linefeed character    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#   I had interpreted it as modify-in-place
    lines = migration.readlines
    lines.each do | l |
        puts "  " + l