Wow I thought Passenger was just another deploy option not a whole
serving option.

So I can eliminate the need for multiple mongrel instances by
deploying with Passenger it will load balance start/stop instances
based on load needs. How does it actually serve? Is it a passenger
instance the app is served from?

On Mar 24, 1:58 pm, Matt Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 4:58 pm, brianp <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hey everyone.
>
> > I'm a one person team and in the next month need to produce and deploy
> > an application. I've been playing with rails for a little over a year
> > now and recently deployed my first app as a private contract.
>
> > I'm now planning development on a start up company.
>
> > The app should be expecting high volumes (not like Twitter but high
> > for sure. Its no social media app) My target audience is very specific
> > but in certain locals the app has been requested by many users who are
> > in fact waiting for the app to deploy.
>
> > Smaller Volumes actually uploading files and adding objects to the db.
> > Many people surfing the site. (Probably the same sort of RATIOS as
> > cragslist (posters:readers, but not near the volume.)
>
> > My current plan is and I need some help with this:
>
> > Start on shared hosting unlimited traffic/storage. Will move to
> > dedicated-virtual if shared hosting causes performance issues when
> > traffic picks up.
>
> Stay away from "shared hosting"; you'll have a bad time unless you're
> running on at least a VPS or equivalent (EC2 instance, Heroku dyno,
> etc.) Any host that's offering "unlimited bandwidth / unlimited
> storage" is probably so oversold as to be useless.
>
> > Behavior Drive Development via RSpec & Cucumber.
> > Build the App in rails with ActiveRecord (I read somewhere
> > ActiveRecord can be swapped out for something faster, Should I use
> > something else?)
> > Use multiple MySQL databases 1 master for writing, at *least* 2 slaves
> > for reading. (Any info on this would be good.)
>
> This is a fairly sizable bucket of hurt, especially to start with. I'm
> also unsure how this squares with the "shared hosting" above. You're
> better off starting with a single MySQL instance, and dealing with the
> expansion when the load demands it.
>
> > Run multiple mongrel instances via mongrel_cluster. (How many is
> > sufficient? I think currently I have 4 available on my hosting, can
> > upgrade later if needed. So that would be 1 main instance and 3
> > extras.)
>
> The "standard" deployment stack (if such a thing can be said to exist)
> uses Passenger in preference to Mongrel. There's considerably less
> Apache fiddling to get a Passenger setup running.
>
> Finally, you might want to take a look at some of the "cloud"
> offerings out there; Heroku is pretty popular, and is apparently very
> easy to deploy to and scale. Amazon EC2 is another possibility; they
> also offer pre-configured MySQL server instances on some fairly big
> iron.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --Matt Jones

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby 
on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

Reply via email to