The 'mongrel' is a single ruby process. So if each request takes on average
100ms to process, that means you can only process 10 requests a second. If
you have 4 mongrels you can then process 40 requests a second; assuming you
don't hit some other bottleneck.

I am not familiar enough with Passenger to say how it deals with load
balancing.

--
Jeremy Chase
http://twitter.com/jeremychase



On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM, brianp <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I was actually just thinking this myself. That my focus should be on
> caching more then on multiple db's. I will be on shared hosting at
> first but like mentioned most likely plan to move to dedicated if/when
> people sign up.
>
> So even with Passenger taking care of some load balancing it's still
> required (or better) to run multiple mongrels?
>
> On Mar 24, 5:23 pm, Jeremy Chase <[email protected]> wrote:
> > One other thing. Passenger is now the "Best Practice" way to deploy Rails
> > apps, but that is only because deployment is easier in some respects. If
> you
> > have strong system administration skills lighty/nginx plus mongrel/tiny
> is
> > just as easy to configure. I'm pretty sure you can use Passenger with
> nginx
> > also, which may be a passable alternative to Apache.
> >
> > Also, you were asking about the number of Mongrels; this really depends
> on
> > how powerful your server is. If you have 8 cores then you probably want
> more
> > mongrels than on a 4 core machine. You also need to take into account how
> > much RAM you have available to you.
> >
> > --
> > Jeremy Chasehttp://twitter.com/jeremychase
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM, brianp <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > > Hey everyone.
> >
> > > I'm a one person team and in the next month need to produce and deploy
> > > an application. I've been playing with rails for a little over a year
> > > now and recently deployed my first app as a private contract.
> >
> > > I'm now planning development on a start up company.
> >
> > > The app should be expecting high volumes (not like Twitter but high
> > > for sure. Its no social media app) My target audience is very specific
> > > but in certain locals the app has been requested by many users who are
> > > in fact waiting for the app to deploy.
> >
> > > Smaller Volumes actually uploading files and adding objects to the db.
> > > Many people surfing the site. (Probably the same sort of RATIOS as
> > > cragslist (posters:readers, but not near the volume.)
> >
> > > My current plan is and I need some help with this:
> >
> > > Start on shared hosting unlimited traffic/storage. Will move to
> > > dedicated-virtual if shared hosting causes performance issues when
> > > traffic picks up.
> > > Behavior Drive Development via RSpec & Cucumber.
> > > Build the App in rails with ActiveRecord (I read somewhere
> > > ActiveRecord can be swapped out for something faster, Should I use
> > > something else?)
> > > Use multiple MySQL databases 1 master for writing, at *least* 2 slaves
> > > for reading. (Any info on this would be good.)
> > > Run multiple mongrel instances via mongrel_cluster. (How many is
> > > sufficient? I think currently I have 4 available on my hosting, can
> > > upgrade later if needed. So that would be 1 main instance and 3
> > > extras.)
> > > Paypal via Active_Merchant for all payment processing. (May accept
> > > money order and check but that's not app related.)
> > > Amazon S3 services for file/image upload & hosting (Via paperclip.) I
> > > may start by hosting all images from local server as I have unlimited
> > > space but I feel as the app grows my hosting may not appreciate the
> > > traffic and I'll move to Amazon S3.
> > > Deploy via Git & Capistrano
> >
> > > I'm going to do all the base functionality for the application myself.
> > > Get it running get people signed up get them using the app. Hopefully
> > > the multiple db's and mongrel instances should supply enough speed to
> > > start. At which point if everything goes as planned (it never does)
> > > I'll outsource and get added security. Get queries optimized and work
> > > on overall performance via back end processes etc that will be over my
> > > head for sure hence the outsource or hire of private team. I know at
> > > this point it will be necessary to do these things and costs for such
> > > have been accounted for.
> >
> > > Any help with gathering resources where I can find more information
> > > about the above topics or personal experiences would be greatly
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > > --
> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups
> > > "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
> > > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
> .
> > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > > [email protected]<rubyonrails-talk%[email protected]>
> <rubyonrails-talk%[email protected]<rubyonrails-talk%[email protected]>
> >
> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<rubyonrails-talk%[email protected]>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby 
on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

Reply via email to