On 11/19/13 7:43 PM, Tommi wrote:
I like how your argument nudges this whole discussion a few inches to
the left. Now we see that disallowing auto-borrowing from regular
function arguments doesn't buy us anything unless we also disallow it
from the target of method invocation syntax (dot notation). And
that's obviously assuming the upcoming UFCS feature. I doubt that
anyone would
like to be writing (&*foo).call_method() all day long.

Magic in one part of the language isn't equivalent to magic everywhere in the language. The dot operator is already magical in several ways: it autoderefs for fields and searches through all traits in scope. This proposal would confine the magic to that operator and that operator alone, preventing it from leaking out into other parts of the language.

Patrick