Dear Ryu users,

I would like to share with you Kathará
(kathara.org/<https://github.com/Kidel/Kathara>), an open source simulation
environment based on Docker containers which has been developed in the Computer
Network Research Group at Roma Tre University
(http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~compunet/www/view/group.php?id=compunet).

A paper about Kathará has been accepted to the NOMS 2018 and will be presented
next April in one of the technical sessions of the conference. The title of the
paper is Kathará: A Container-Based Framework for Implementing Network Function
Virtualization and Software Defined Networks.

Kathará comes with pre-built images featuring BMv2 (P4 target suite), Quagga,
Bind and, of course, Ryu. We are currently using it in our projects to test
network infrastructures and experiment with NFV and SDN. We found interesting
the opportunity of implementing NFV using P4 as described in our paper, and the
interactions with an heterogeneous environment.

Major features:

  1.  Network nodes based on containers
  2.  Simple configuration
  3.  Possibility of implementing any network topology using P4, OpenVSwitch or
traditional protocols
  4.  Possibility of extending it with any container image
  5.  Pre-built images with Ryu, BMv2, Quagga and Bind
  6.  Safely used by non-root users even if they can access Docker commands

If you want to have more information, have a look to our web site, kathara.org,
or write us an email to kath...@dia.uniroma3.it.

We are still working on it, so any feedback and/or comments are welcome. We
hope you like and enjoy Kathará.

Thanks,
The Katharà team