Steffen,

I don't use a signature myself, but a colleague who does recently updated his s-nail from the out of date version in the ubuntu repository and got a warning that signature was obsolete and he should use on-compose-leave and message-inject-tail. That is, replace the single line

signature=~/.signature

whose meaning is pretty obvious to the ordinary user, with half a dozen lines of - if you will forgive my saying so - rather arcane low level code. You shouldn't have to understand the semantics of "vput csop" to include a signature your emails.

Please don't misunderstand. I think it is great that you have exposed low level workings of s-nail so that, for instance, someone who wants to include different signatures for different classes of recipients can arrange that. But it shouldn't be at the expense of over-complicating everyday use. Please retain the signature variable.

All that said, I tried making a signature for myself by copying code from the man page. It worked, in that the lines of my .signature file got tacked on correctly, but I was surprised to have the contents of message-inject-tail echoed to my screen when I sent the message. Is there a way of stopping that?

Stephen Isard