I have spent many happy hours switching with my Gilbert Baldwin switchers.

When my first Baldwin and I were both fairly new, I spotted  cars at
accessories and made up trains with it.  I grew up near a New York Central
freight yard and that kind of action fascinated me.  The Baldwin resembled
the switch engines in that yard.

When I returned to Flyer trains in adulthood, most of the Baldwins I
acquired did not work that well, although one of them worked fine with no
modification at all.  .  I learned to replace the armature bearings, shim
the axle bearings, rewind the armatures and fields, and add weight.  I also
added free standing brass wire handrails to one of them.  Once these
changes had been made, and the couplers repaired and adjusted, they were
quite capable of switching chores.  I always have a freight classification
yard with electric uncouplers in my layouts, and as long as the cuts of
cars involved are no longer than 8 cars or so, my Baldwins do fine.  They
go through Flyer switches better if you remove the pickup shoe on the power
truck.

Tom Jarcho




S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to