We go through this information every so often, but that's because we have new folks 
joining the list all the time. Here's my two cents:

I agree with Jerry Dobbs that the best method of removing paint from old plastic AF 
bodies is to soak in a strong solution of detergent (personally, I prefer Tide, 
because that's what happens to be in the laundry room). Mix up a batch (I use about a 
cup of Tide for about 3-4 gallons of water in a bucket) and, depending on the age of 
the paint, soak for up to a week. I've never had to let it go as long as a year, as 
has Jerry. Brush occasionally with a soft toothbrush to help loosen the old stuff. 
Rinse well before repainting. It's a safe and inexpensive method.

That's such a shame about the paint on the 740 Handcar. Here's my method of 
"rejuvenating" old, oxidized paint jobs without damaging the original: I use a Trasan 
microfiber cloth, and have reviewed its properties here in the past. (I am not a 
Trasan dealer, and have no financial interest in the company. There may be other 
microfiber cloths which work as well.)

Simply moisten the Trasan with warm water, then begin rubbing down the shell. For 
stubborn stains, you may have to apply some elbow grease, but proceed with caution, 
pausing every now and then to check both the stain and the amount of pigment you're 
pulling into your cloth. If there are no mars or stains, then just a few minutes of 
rubbing, using nothing but warm water, will remove the oxidation and restore the 
original luster to your model. It's truly amazing!

One of the Trasan websites:

http://www.trasan.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/3/index.html

Click on "Cloths & Towels."

Hope this helps.

YourS,
John Eichmann
Rocky Mountain Hi-Railers
Boise


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to