On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:48:00 AM UTC-8, Nicolas M. Thiery wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55:11AM +0000, Sagan, Bruce wrote:
> > Formidable!  This installed dot2tex.  Thanks so much!!  One last
> question.  When I went back to the notebook and ran a view command (I just
> copied the first example of using this command from the section Crystals of
> Tableaux in Sage of the Classic Crystals thematic tutorial) I got as output
> the tex commands for the tikz picture of the crystal.  Is there a way to
> get the picture itself printed in the notebook without having to create a
> latex file?  Maybe I have to install another package?
>
> Alas, the notebook (or more precisely the component jsmath/mathjax
> which is the same used on e.g. mathscinet) isn't yet able to display
> all latex construct, and in particular tikz pictures.
>
> Instead, you can view it in an external pdf viewer:
>
> sage: view(B, pdflatex=True, tightpage=True)

You could also use the "jsmath avoid list": a list of strings which tells
the notebook to use straight latex, rather than JSMath, to process them:

  sage: latex.add_to_jsmath_avoid_list('tikz')

tells Sage to not try to use JSMath on any string which includes 'tikz'.
This is documented in sage/misc/latex.py.  You can do this to try an
example:

  sage: from sage.misc.latex import latex_examples
  sage: G = latex_examples.graph()
  sage: G
  (prints an informative message about what you can do with G)

I would hope that something similar would work with dot2tex, but I haven't
actually tried it.

--
John