Nicolas and John,
   I added ImageMagick (since it's Fedora: "yum install
ImageMagick" ), did the jsmath_avoid_list('tikz') command, and I was
able to properly view the pdf. However it does not work if I don't do
the jsmath_avoid command. John, perhaps you could elaborate why you
thought to use this command?

   Also, I haven't had time yet to really look at the notebook code
yet. I know some AJAX and (more importantly) I know someone who has a
strong knowledge of server coding who I can pester if needed. As for
an embedded pdf viewer, there seems to be a somewhat standard way of
doing it (there are some html tags, or apparently one of the more
common things to do is embed the viewer in flash). But yes, big,
complex pictures are definitely better in their own window (especially
since there will be double scroll bars which make it difficult to
maneuver around).

Anne,
   I tried reproducing your error first on my usual VM setup, and
received a long list of latex errors (similar to the list when I first
tried to get the crystal graphs to compile). Then I copied the latex
output using latex(H) to my host tex editor/compile which generated
the following errors:

Error: Use of \tikz@@scope@env doesn't match its definition.

twice on each of these lines:

\Vertex[style={minimum
size=1.0cm,draw=cv0,fill=cfv0,text=clv0,shape=circle},LabelOut=false,L=
\hbox{$\verb[1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1,|\phantom{x}
\verb|1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1]|$},x=0.0cm,y=0.0cm]
{v0}

\Vertex[style={minimum
size=1.0cm,draw=cv1,fill=cfv1,text=clv1,shape=circle},LabelOut=false,L=
\hbox{$\verb[2,|\phantom{x}\verb|1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1,|\phantom{x}
\verb|1,|\phantom{x}\verb|1]|$},x=0.6998cm,y=0.2474cm]{v1}

Finally I tried it on the notebook, but it kept taking issue with the
facade option, so I couldn't attempt it with the view command.

Best,
Travis