On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 02:41:26PM +0000, Simon King wrote:
> But one could argue that "explicit is better than implicit". If we just
> see a finite number of applications, then explicitly programming these
> finitely many instances may be easier to understand than a general
> framework for an infinity of applications.

We are on the same line ...

So the question is how many metaclasses we forsee in the future.

NestedClassMetaclass is really a workaround for a mishandling of
nested classes by Python; we could hope that it would eventually
become unneeded.

ClasscallMetaclass implements the analogue of special methods but for
classes; that's fairly natural, and it is thinkable that they would
eventually end up in the type class.

DynamicMetaclass is only there for pickling; it's actually fairly
similar to ClasscallMetaclass: implementing the special method
__reduce__ for a class; we could have a __classreduce__ in type.

Ok, maybe all of the above is just a dream; still at this point I see
no strong rationale for the existence of those three metaclasses
(beside that have no practical alternatives at this point)

Do you foresee other use cases for metaclasses in Sage?