On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think a review process, editorial board, and useful reviews/rankings
> on Amazon.com are starting to matter more to people than "it's published by
> Springer (or O'Reilly)".   These are things we can accomplish
> together, and it will be exactly the same amount of work as it would
> be to put together a series through Springer.   For example, we can
> encourage many people on sage-devel to fill out amazon.com reviews of
> the books, so people will get a sense that the book has been looked at
> by experts.   Also, Springer would charge about $40/copy, and give
> us about $5 royalties per book.  I think we could charge $20/copy and
> make twice as much per book sold (not that making money is a
> motivation for this sort of thing!), while charging readers half as
> much.
>
> See
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Calcul-math%C3%A9matique-avec-Sage-Zimmerman/dp/1481191047/
>
> for an example.
>
> What do people think?  Do you think we can create our own series, of
> just as high of quality as Springer, but more inexpensive for readers,
> and with a creative commons license?

I like the idea. It depends on what "just as high a quality as Springer" means.

I'm also curious how easy is it be for a library to buy a book from such a
custom-made series? Guaranteed university+college library sales would
help a lot.

> Would somebody like Minh Nguyen be willing to do technical copyediting
> in exchange for a percentage of sales?

If sales were low, the money might not accurately reflect the value of
the labor,
so it would depend on the availability of the editor's time.