[this didn't make it past gmane, so I repost here, sorry; I also add few
things]

On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 00:41:19 UTC+8, William wrote:

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM, rjf <fat...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > but if you have already written it and Springer would like to publish
> it,
> > and it doesn't interfere with your ownership, it seems like you have
> > nothing to lose.  But make sure you don't give away something
> > unintentionally, whether it is right or your valuable time and energy.
> >
> > RJF
> >

> You make some excellent points.
>
> I think a review process, editorial board, and useful reviews/rankings
> on Amazon.com are starting to matter more to people than "it's published
> by
> Springer (or O'Reilly)".

IMHO reputations of Springer series are going down fast, at least some

of them.  I received two books to referee for one of such series

marketed as for "... rapid dissemination of novel blah blah..."  in the

past year, and in both cases they were of pathetic quality (e.g. one being

slighly rearranged 15-year old obscure university-published book, where one
can

e.g. find results of computational experiments run on a 133MHz Pentium

machine, etc etc).  And my negative reports were ignored all togther.

Even more telling is that one of the book's authors is one of Editors of
the very same

series...

> These are things we can accomplish
> together, and it will be exactly the same amount of work as it would
> be to put together a series through Springer.   For example, we can
> encourage many people on sage-devel to fill out amazon.com reviews of
> the books, so people will get a sense that the book has been looked at
> by experts.   Also, Springer would charge about $40/copy, and give
> us about $5 royalties per book.  I think we could charge $20/copy and
> make twice as much per book sold (not that making money is a
> motivation for this sort of thing!), while charging readers half as
> much.
>
> See
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Calcul-math%C3%A9matique-avec-Sage-Zimmerman/dp/1481191047/
>

> for an example.
>
> What do people think?  Do you think we can create our own series, of
> just as high of quality as Springer, but more inexpensive for readers,
> and with a creative commons license?

I think that's the way to go. New series by well-established commercial
publishers pop up like
mushrooms lately, and have little credibility.

> Would somebody like Minh Nguyen be willing to do technical copyediting
> in exchange for a percentage of sales?

I suppose such people will be around, be it Minh (who certainly would do a
great job) or someone else.